"In our daily lives, we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but the gratefulness that makes us happy." - Albert Clarke

Monday, February 20, 2012

dusting off the blog

Whoa.  It's really been a month since I last posted?  What's up with that?  Life, I guess.   It's kind of like exercising - - I find if I skip too many days, I just fall out of the habit.   Thinking of writing as exercise for my mind, perhaps this will help to motivate me to continue... and knowing that someone's reading, too.  That helps.

So - to jump back in - I'm going to answer the 11 questions that my friend Sherry posted over at her blog.  Oh, I also have to share 11 random things about myself and then end it off with 11 questions of my own for you (yes YOU) to answer.  Cool.  Here we go.




11 Random things about moi:

1.  I like coffee rather a lot.  THIS should come as little surprise to anyone who knows me, but what might surprise you is that I went off caffeine completely for about 2 years ...  let's see... from 2008-2010.   I had severe inflammation issues in my chest and one of my shoulders from an old climbing injury, and giving up caffeine was part of my holistic treatment plan.  I'd still drink decaf from time to time, but no lead.  Slowly, as my problem resolved itself, it crept back into my life.   We are bedfellows once more, the coffee bean and I.

2.  I love extreme weather.  Winter storms, loud thunder and lightning storms - anything showing the awesome force of nature.  Yes, I admit that I'm even captivated by tornadoes and hurricanes, though I feel conscious of the impacts these kinds of storms have on the lives of people.  Living through Ike, I got to experience it first hand.  Still, I'm a sucker for documentaries on huge storms and follow the "Texas Storm Chasers" on FB.  One day I'd love to drive through TX, OK, KS in search of tornadoes to photograph.  Yes, I'm clearly off my rocker.

3.  I do not always write huge novels in response to questions, no matter what #1 and #2 may lead you to believe....

4.  I love kale chips with a fiery passion... and am not-so-secretedly pleased that I am the only one in my house that likes them, meaning that I get to eat them ALL when I make a batch.   Sweet.

5.  As natural and crunchy as I am, I really like smelly laundry detergent.  None of that "clear and free" stuff for me.  My favourite is Arm & Hammer Clean Mountain.  Mmm......

6.  Losing my dog Lucy last December was the hardest thing I've ever had to endure.  I still miss her... painfully so.  Having Sally in our lives is a joy, but you never replace or forget..

7.  I love Yoga.  Yoga helps me reach a quieter, better place in me.  I have moved away from being uber "I can do THIS!  and THIS!  and I want to get THIS pose", and am finding a more spiritual place in the poses. It's been a time of growth for me.

8.  I have the best friends ever.  I am so grateful for each and every one of them.  I love them, and feel loved in return.  What more is there in life?

9.  My kids are awesome.  They are funny and confident and I cannot wait to see each day what they will do, and what they'll end up doing as they grow up.  Yep, labour and birth and breastfeeding and the ages of 3 and 4?  All worth it.  ♥

10.  I love to read.  If I run out of something to read, I feel so utterly lost.  I take out more books than I can possibly read in one library loan period because I can't risk not having something to read!  My favourite book so far in 2012 is "The Hunger Games".

11.  Starbucks' new blonde roast tastes like tea to me.  No, I'm not drinking any right now (Casa Cielo, grande), but it randomly popped into my mind as I looked over at the display of Blonde Roast beans beside me.  Hey, it's 11 Random Things, right?


Answers to Sherry's 11 Questions:


1. If you could live anywhere else, where would it be?

Easy-peasy.  Jasper, Alberta.  I could wipe poop from Moose bums for a living for all I care.  I ♥♥♥♥♥ Jasper.   You would too.


2. You just won an all-expenses paid two-week vacation to the location of your choosing. Where are you going?

Ok, since going to Jasper would be silly if it's an ALL expense paid trip, I'll choose something more exotic.  I'd love to visit Indonesia.  Bali, specifically... and NO, not from reading "Eat, Pray, Love" (we shall not mention the movie.... blech) - I've wanted to travel to Bali for a long time.


3. What’s your favourite way to exercise?  

I love Yoga.  I love hiking.  I love working out with my awesome workout partner, Rhonda, at the gym.  It's all good.


4. Are you more of a city person or a country person?

Both.  The idea of living on an acreage (or some land in the Mountains) sound divine to me.  I think I'd choose that if I had to.  I also love the energy (and coffee availability) of mega-cities like NYC.  I would love to live in Manhattan for a short time.


5. What’s your absolute favourite food?

If I have to choose .... hmm.... I'd go with Indian.   Closely followed by Chinese.


6. What’s the best movie you’ve ever seen?  

I'm not sure... I like a whole bunch of movies - - - Shawshank Redemption, Twelve Monkeys,  The Sweet Hereafter, Stand by Me, Into the Wild... but no clear, strong favourite.


7. What book would you recommend to me?  

Well, Sherry, I know you've already read The Hunger Games, so I won't recommend that one.  Maybe "Lamb:  The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal " by Christopher Moore?  It's ridiculously funny.


8. Who’s your favourite actor or actress?

I'm not all that into Hollywood stuff.  No one comes to mind.


9. Name a talent that you don’t have that you really wish you had.

I'd love to learn to play the guitar!


10. What’s your most dreaded household chore?

Folding laundry.  *shudder*


11. What kind of sleeper are you – back, side, or stomach?  

Side or back.


Ok, my questions for you!  You can answer in your blog, on your facebook page, in the comment section, even.  Please link or comment below to let me know where you've answered so I can read them!

1.  What is the best book you read last year?
2.  What three qualities do you love best about yourself?
3.  Is there any food you haven't tried and would be willing to try?  What is it?  (better yet- try it this week and let me know!)
4.  What's your favourite movie snack?
5.  What's your favourite non fast food restaurant, and what do you like to order there?
6.  What's something you've achieved in the recent past that has surprised you?
7.  Where would you travel to if money and time were no object?  
8.  What would you love to earn money doing?
9.  What's a favourite, feel-good song?
10.  What did you do on the weekend that was fun?
11.  What will you do today that is fun?

I'd love to hear your answers! 


1 comment: