"In our daily lives, we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but the gratefulness that makes us happy." - Albert Clarke

Thursday, November 3, 2011

I drink coffee instead

Writer's Block prompt:  What's the last lie you told?

Hmm.... at first I thought (smugly, I might add)  "I don't believe I can remember the last time I told a lie!", but then it came to me - - I told my husband I was going to Yoga this morning, but instead holed up in Starbucks with my book and a venti Thanksgiving Blend.   Yes, I did.   Now, in my defense, I didn't necessarily know with *100%* certainty that I wouldn't go, but ... yeah ... the coffee was definitely pulling me in its direction.

It's silly, because he wouldn't have given a fig where I was going (and it was only an issue at all because our youngest child was home sick today, though she slept until long after I returned), but somehow it eased *my* Mama-guilt to think that I was doing something at least moderately redeeming rather than just leisurely sipping coffee and reading my book for an hour.

What's that about?

I logically see that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of personal r&r time.  An hour of quiet and solitude isn't any less therapeutic than an hour of Yoga, if that's what you know that you're craving.  I guess the fact that I felt compelled to... ahem... tilt the pendulum in favour of the Gym instead of the coffee shop means that I'm feeling not altogether ok with how I chose to spend my time.  Self-care;  why is it something that we mothers find so hard to accept in ourselves?

So, yes, I told a lie.  Or a half lie - given that I hadn't completely decided at the time I left the house that I wouldn't be going to the Gym.  Is it a lie if you're not decided yet?  Is it a lie if I now know that I didn't go to the Gym, but don't fess up?  So maybe I kind of ended up lying without knowing at the time that I would be lying but having an inkling that maybe I'd rather spend the hour sipping coffee than downward dogging....

On a related note, DANG is Thanksgiving Blend a fine cup of coffee.  Go try some.

No comments:

Post a Comment