"In our daily lives, we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but the gratefulness that makes us happy." - Albert Clarke

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

what do you do for fun?

Ok, so I'm reading this fabulous book (that I highly recommend to everyone - borrow it, buy it... just get it!) called "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.  This morning I read about enhancing our leisure time, making more time for fun.  I began to think about the things I do for fun, and also the things that other people do for fun that I don't find enjoyable even though sometimes I wish I *did* find them enjoyable.. I just don't.  From Gretchen's book, and some of the comments to her own blog that she shared therein, I get the impression that this is one of those common elements in our human condition.  We just won't always like what other people think of as "fun".  Personally, I'm ok with that.  I realize and accept that I just don't see the fun in paying a stranger to paint my toenails, and the idea of spending two hours at a beauty spa makes me yawn as surely as watching a documentary on WWII Submarines (sorry, husband).   I don't like going to the Mall.  I don't drink alcohol, and don't want to.  I'm not against it, I just don't enjoy it myself.   I'm not at ALL interested in visiting Las Vegas;  no, not even for the shows.  I'm not all that interested in going to shows.  I'm not a techno-phobe, but I don't care for owning the latest iPhone,iPad or iTouch. I don't even know if I spelled those correctly, and I don't care. I enjoy watching certain television programs (Hello, Dexter!), but I've never seen "How I Met your Mother", "Parenthood", Modern Family or Glee.  No, I take that back. I did watch one episode of Glee.  I just didn't like it.

I didn't write all of this to come across as a kill joy, nor to be all smuggy-smug and make myself out to be some kind of high culture elitist.  I can indulge myself in drivel with the best of 'em!   Sister Wives and Amazing Race, anyone?  Serial Killer dramas?   Ridiculously priced cups of coffee?  Yep.     The whole topic just got me thinking - how often do we feel like we "should" like something we don't?  I can think of one thing that I've felt guilty about in the past:  At times, I've felt like I *should* like getting down on the floor and playing dolls with my children, or doing huge, involved craft projects.  I just don't like doing those things.  I like to think that I'm pretty ok with who I am, but I think these two pull at my Parenting Guilt Strings.  I like to play board games, read books, go for walks, sit in the backyard and talk.. I like to do lots of things with my girls, but playing dolls isn't one of them.  I've worked to become ok with that.

Some of the things I do that are fun for me - my leisure time list:




  • take my camera outside - for a short walk, or even just into the backyard.  Shooting makes me happy.
  • Photoshop, baby.
  • Going to the library.  I love to go alone (yes, I'll be honest), because I like to wander up and down the aisles to find the book that jumps out at me.
  • Reading in cafes, with a big cup of dark-roast coffee beside me.
  • Practicing Yoga.  I especially like to go to classes, as I find myself so much less distracted and challenged than when I practice at home.
  • Meditating.  When I make the time to do it, I'm always glad that I did.  Again, I like to meditate in a group - there's a whole different "energy".
  • Spending time in my backyard.  I love to be outside and barefoot, and do this at least once every day.   Sometimes I'll bring a book and a mug of tea outside, other times I'll just go and sit quietly.  There's always something to see and so many noises to notice.  I like to try to distinguish between the different birds' songs.  I'm getting better.  You really notice the seasons when you spend time outside just being quiet.
  • Watching football.  I especially love SEC games (WAR EAGLE!!).   We also love to go to Friday Night football at the High School when we can.
  • Playing soccer.  I'm pretty good, too.
  • Thrift store shopping.  I'd say that 95% or more of my wardrobe is second hand.  It's not just that I'm thrifty (though I am), it's like a treasure hunt every time you go.  I enjoy seeing what I can find every couple of weeks - sometimes I come home with nothing, other times I really luck out and come home with a new yoga top, a couple of funky t-shirts and a pair of cute shoes.   Oh, and books!  The books I've gotten at thrift stores have been amazing.
  • Time with friends.  I feel blessed by the friends in my life, and I love spending time with them.  I find I'm more of a one-on-one type of person:  I like the intimacy it brings.
  • Road trips!  Even if I only get an hour or so out of town, I love a good road trip.  Camera in car, of course..
  • Watching Dexter with my guy.  It's one of our special things.
  • Playing cool board games with my family - "Ticket to Ride", "7 Wonders" and "Dominion" are three of my favourites.
  • Working in the Library at the school.  I love being in contact with the students and helping to inspire them about reading. 
  • Drinking coffee ... oh, did I already mention that?
  • Being along after the girls are in bed, reading in the living room with only a soft lamp and candles for light.  I like to listen to Pandora, make a cup of tea, and just enjoy the stillness.
  • Riding my bike on the trails in our town.
  • Mowing the lawn.  Yes, I really, REALLY like mowing the lawn.  I'd fight for it, if I had to.  Luckily for me, my husband is saner than I and couldn't give a fig if I hog that job.  I like the repetitive back-and-forth nature of mowing,and I *love* the smell of freshly cut grass.  Heaven.
  • Sketching with oil pastels.  I like to do take out a crisp, white sheet of paper and just go to town.
  • Pottery.   I love to feel the soft, cool clay in my hands.
  • Coin collecting (ok, just messin' with ya there..)

What are some of the things you like to do in your free time?  Do you feel like you don't have free time?  In what creative ways have you carved out a bit of time for fun in your day?   Please share in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. My list is not near as long as yours, but I am sure I am leaving somethings off --

    * Walking area parks with camera in hand

    * Reading and parusing my magazines in Starbucks or just about any coffeehouse

    * Jumping in the car and driving to Galveston, Lake Jackson or Brazos Bend for day trips or driving to Austin staying in a hotel and driving back the next day.

    * Spending time with family and friends

    * Since I used to have a long commute to work, I loved listening to photography podcasts and audiobooks. I still do the podcasts, but not the audiobooks so much. I WANT to get back into reading.

    * Photography Photography Photography - I WANT to be better at the editing side though

    At this point in my life I have the room to try new things. One of the things I've read about on your blog that I would like to research is meditation. I feel that it would help me in every aspect of my life. I ALWAYS have "monkey-mind", so I'm not sure how easy it will be for me. Also, I have a fear of "the new" that I must overcome as well.


    -Rt

    ReplyDelete